RE: Wiring Question

To: "'Steve Sage'" <ssage@socal.rr.com>, <TIGERS@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Wiring Question
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 17:17:41 -0700
Steve,

Normally, a 35 amp fuse will not allow enough current to damage its fuse
holder. I think what happened was the fuse was the last to go and the heat
was generated somewhere close by, probably at the connections of the 12
gauge wire to the fuse holder. What I'm suggesting is that the evaporator
fan is drawing considerably less than 35A, but the resistance at the
connection caused the meltdown. (BTW, this seems reminiscent of your problem
with the ignition coil.) From the charts I've seen, 25-30A and a 7' run is
on the border of either 12 or 10 gauge. It depends a lot on how much air
cooling the wire gets. But no way will 35A flowing through 12 gauge wire get
hot enough with to melt anything except butter. It's just maybe a little
more voltage drop than you might like. In fact, 35A times about .002 Ohms
per foot times 10 feet is 0.7V.

Regards,
Bob