Re: Traction Bars Experience and Alternate

To: Veeseeoso@aol.com
Subject: Re: Traction Bars Experience and Alternate
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 09:25:40 -0700
Hank, et al

I have been using the new version  of Traction Masters Tiger Bolt-on
bars for about 2 years now.  They install much easier than the original
as they have simplified the design, and no longer require new long "U"
bolts to go through both the stock bottom plate and the Traction Master
plate (with the new poly bushing).  Save the old piece, though.

My experience is that the axle wrap is controlled.  I put some sheet
rubber between the bar and the springs, where they clamp at the front,
to eliminate any scuffing due to relative motion.

The other observation is that, since the bar effectively eliminates the
front half of the leaf spring from bending during normal operation and
bumps, the springs are all functioning on the rear portion only.  This
stiffens the ride considerably, as any road bump will attest.

If you want a better design, and are not tied to "original", then Dan
Walters <spmdr@juno.com> has a torque tube design that is much better,
as users will attest.

Steve

--