Re: Rear Disk Brake Kit

To: RMEbstein@aol.com
Subject: Re: Rear Disk Brake Kit
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 22:23:22 -0700
Hi Rodney,

If the calipers slide on their mounts then they will move (inboard!) as
the brake pads wear, which will be over 1/4 inch if you run the pads
right down to the pads' backplates. They will also move with the lateral
play in the rear axles - anyone have a number for that? If you have too
much lateral play in the axles then on the first brake application after
a couple of turns the pedal will go down a bit because you have to take
up the slack between the rear pads and the discs.

In any event, if you put one or two 2" diameter loops in the brake line
at the caliper, and then clamp the lines to the axle housing at the
outboard ends, you shouldn't have a breakage or leakage problem due to
the calipers moving. I have had a problem in the past (not on a Tiger)
where vibration in the rear axle caused the brake line to crack right at
the caliper. This was determined to be due to not having the line
clamped close enough to the caliper end - I put an extra clamp on and
the problem never recurred.  The best solution, though, is to use a
couple of short flex lines between the calipers and the rear axle ends.
Running too much flex line, even if it's the Teflon lined
stainless-braided type, will give you a soft pedal feel.

Best regards,
Theo Smit