Re: Tiger Rack from the Source

To: <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>, "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Subject: Re: Tiger Rack from the Source
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 21:29:35 -0800
>>>And, BTW, Bill's book also includes this statement: "Later reports
disclose
that engineering and construction done by Shelby American were so
comprehensive and painstaking that only two significant changes (throttle
linkage and shock absorber setting) were made after testing by Rootes
factory engineers prior to approval for production." I'm pretty sure a few
more changes were made - even beyond bending the tie rods.<<<

Bob,
 I'm a bit pressed for time at the moment but...., having edited the video
taped at Mammouth (and thus hearing what George said numerous times) George
does state that he NEVER drove the car until the Rootes executive
(seemingly) couldn't find his way back to Shelby's on the first test drive
given to Rootes.
 At another point George is asked for the working drawing and George
comments that 'well...., there might be some templates in a box back there.'
It is my opinion that to Shelby the Tiger was just a job. That job was given
to George whose personal craftsmanship made the Tiger what it is. Although
George seems to be elated with the following the Tiger has today one gets
the impression that at the time what he did with the car was just his 9-5
job.
So, if the guy who was altering (engineering in my mind) the car never drove
it before it was presented and could barely produce a few templates, maybe
one is left to question how much "Shelby Engineering" actually went into the
car. Again, as I said above one gets the impression that it is mainly
George's personal craftsmanship and experience in constructing cars that
brought about the end results for the statement:
"Later reports disclose that engineering and construction done by Shelby
American were so comprehensive and painstaking that only two significant
changes (throttle linkage and shock absorber setting) were made after
testing by Rootes factory engineers prior to approval for production."
 Regards, Tom Witt