Re: Brakes and Transmission problem

To: "Curt" <choffman9@cinci.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Brakes and Transmission problem
From: mmcbeth@peacock.ca
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:37:32 -0700
Sorry Curt, guess I should have read your post a little more carefully. If
you've fully drained the system pressure, then of course the wheels should
move again under my scenario. Do the front wheels turn?

My next step would be to determine whether the emergency brake caused the
issue or the hydraulics. My emergency brake had a tendency to jam on, even
when the cable was loose, but I can crawl underneath and tap the lever arm
back loose. If the arm moves freely, that isn't your problem.

If you can't get the adjusters to back out (too tight?) I would suggest
two things. 1) spray inside the drum with penetrating oil and 2) whack the
drum with a fairly big hammer. Chances are either the shoes moved out of
their normal range and jammed, or you've got loose broken bits floating
around. A little persuasion (jarring) often works, there's been a lot of
time for rust to do its job. You can also pull the pins that hold the
shoes into place through the backing plate. The fact that the shoes are
tight against the drum should keep the surface FAIRLY oil free, but
obviously be careful driving until you get it thoroughly cleaned.

Michael