Re: Brakes and Transmission problem

To: Tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Brakes and Transmission problem
From: mmcbeth@peacock.ca
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:21:28 -0500
Curt,

I believe I can help you with the brakes. The replacement (brake) master
cylinders are built slightly different than the originals. If you look at
the piece inside the master cylinder that the pushrod pushes against, the
original will probably have an indentation and the replacement does not.
When you put the pushrod in and lock it in place with the circlip, the
piston never comes fully back out to release the hydraulic pressure. I
messed around with trying to grind a replacement pushrod etc but ended up
using the piston from the original with new o-rings in the new cylinder
body and the old pushrod.

All of this will become much clearer when you pull out the master cylinder
that you so laboriously installed just recently. Hold the two cylinders
together looking at the pushrod indent and you'll probably see what I
mean. You may have even noticed the difference when you first looked at
them, like I did, but I dismissed the importance of the difference. If it
is any consolation, the second installation went much faster than the
first one and the cylinder has worked perfectly for four years so far.

Michael

"Curt" <choffman9@cinci.rr.com>
Sent by: owner-tigers@Autox.Team.Net
12/13/2004 06:30 PM
Please respond to
"Curt" <choffman9@cinci.rr.com>

"Tiger" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
cc

Subject
Brakes and Transmission problem

I recently bought my third Tiger. Not sure why I sold the other two many
years
ago but I did so I had to buy another. It has some problems that I kind of
knew about but I have a dilemma with two of them. The car was delivered so
didn't really have any driving experience with the car. The guy who drove
it
to my house from the trucking firm lot ( a couple miles) had to go in for
counceling after the trip. The car has essentially been sitting around for
10
years.

Problem #1: Brakes
The PO had replaced the rear brake cylinders but left the master alone
stating
it was a problem. It was in fact shot and didn't appear to be working at
all.
Not exactly sure how the guy who drove it actually stopped the car.

 I replaced the master and proceeded to bleed the brakes. In the course of
bleeding the brakes the rear brakes totally locked up. The parking brake
cable
is loose but the drums will not turn even when I opened up the bleed screw
again and let fluid drain out. I cannot turn the adjuster screw or get the
drum off. These babies are locked up tight.

It appears that the PO had not correctly set up the rear cylinders /
brakes
and  now the pads have moved out and won't retract. Why they won't retract
I'm
not sure. Is there anything relatively easy I can do to release the brakes
somehow.

Problem #2- transmission / Clutch?

Curt Hoffman