Re: Post ignition, post fuel AND (now) steering columns

To: DJoh797014@aol.com, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Post ignition, post fuel AND (now) steering columns
From: TIGEROOTES@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 00:10:57 EST
Dave, you wrote: (also, to the list)

As my friend with a Phd in failure analysis says: 'Every pin no matter what
its composition will
fail in this application.  Its not a question of if just when.  When it fails
the crack will progress at about 600 ft/sec.  Considering the pin is only 3/4
in across, it does take long for the pin to break thru. Unfortunately the
cracks are usually hidden in the A-arm sleeve.  The pins have to be removed
and
maganfluxed and microscopically checked. Even doing this will not guarantee
that just after you reinstall the pins, that a pin will break backing out of
the
garage.

BINGO! ++++
       After two (known to me) failures (ALA surprise and the SAME thing)
Your steering wheel is sitting on your lap!

       This is EXACTLY why all of my steering column rebuilds for 8+ years
have had Magnaflux crack-tested sliding adjusters replaced before I return
them
to their owners.  I have two sliders right here that have failed the Magnaflux
crack test ... and I know of another one that allegedly failed while the car
was in motion, and that car slammed into a bridge bulkhead.  I say allegedly,
because there was no proof beyond his word but I have known the driver for 29
years.  Not quite conclusive, huh?

Jim Leach    Pacific Tiger Club     Seattle