Upper control arm location on front crossmember

To: "Tiger's Den" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Upper control arm location on front crossmember
From: "Theo Smit" <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 23:02:11 -0700
Hi all,

At some point in my Tiger's checkered past it had a nasty crash that damaged
(or was caused by)the right front suspension - judging by the pavement rash
on the lower control arm's lower surface, the twist in the upper control arm
on that side, and a fairly hideous repair to the crossmember shock/control
arm tower on that side. I took diagonal measurements across the upper
control arm mounting holes, and got something like 3/8 inch difference (i.e.
measuring left front mounting hole to right rear, vs. right front to left
rear). The PO's alignment shop tuned it all out with alignment wedges, but
I'd like to make it a little better in there. Since doing that will involve
cutting off and rebuilding at least that one control arm tower, I could
hypothetically relocate the pivot axis for the upper control arm (and yes,
I'd also have to do the other side to match).

Seems to me that someone (Barry S?) recently posted that the front
suspension is not bad as a general compromise unless you're going to be
seriously pushing the limits, but I'll ask the question anyway - if you were
going to relocate the upper control arm with a view to improved suspension
performance in autocross or track situations, assuming the constraints of
otherwise stock-ish parts. I've got reversed lower fulcrum pins (Doug
Jennings'), with the red urethane bushings from SS. Springs will be 450
lb/in, and the swaybar will run in bearings on the crossmember.

Thanks in advance,
Theo