RE: Ford Part Number Request

To: "'David or Gary'" <wwwdg@webtv.net>
Subject: RE: Ford Part Number Request
From: "Frank P. Marrone" <itswonderful@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 22:02:12 -0800
Just a follow up on David's excellent post.  I found a C4TZ-6766-A NOS cap
in an original Ford box on eBay.  It has the 90 degree nipple pointing
straight up.  This is interesting in that although this same part number is
used on our Tigers we know that on our cars the nipple has been rotated to
point back instead of up.  Although the nipple in my cap was tightly secured
in the cap it was relatively easy to rotate to the backward pointing
direction using a pair of pliers.

One conclusion to all this is that Ford or Rootes modified the direction of
the nipple on the cap for the Tiger.  Another is that Ford assembled the
Tiger version caps with the nipple rotated and didn't bother changing the
part number then there were no true Tiger replacement caps available and the
parts book simply listed a suitable alternative that could be easily
modified by the customer or dealership.  And finally, my cap may have come
in the incorrect box and is not really a c4TA-6766-A despite the markings on
the FoMoCo box flap.

Frank
Bored in Cloverdale