Re: Limited Slip Diff

To: Jim Parent <jparent@btconnect.com>
Subject: Re: Limited Slip Diff
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 11:11:00 -0800
Jim,

There are actually two nearly identical LSD units that bolt right in.
They were sold by Rootes LAT division as
LAT-50, and were made by the DANA corporation.  The ring gear bolt holes
were smaller than those in the
stock differential, so LAT also offered Ford differential gears
(LAT-51,  -52,  -53, -54) of higher numerical
ratio.  It made lower gear performance better, but increased the highway
cruise rpm considerable, as will all greater
 than the stock 2.88's.

This information can be found on:
http://www.tigersunited.com/resources/parts_service/pp-pricelist.asp

Read the "Editors Footnote" which discusses the DANA LSD made by
Salisbury (the Dana subsidiary in England).
These were used in the Jaguar Mk II, and are a perfect fit, and almost
identical in design, to the US DANA.  The
only difference, as explained in the article,  "The major difference
between the units was the size of the threads was larger than
the American units on the English ring gear, as was the matching
differential carrier hole. If you get a Jaguar Salisbury unit, it bolts
 right on to the 2.88's that came with the Tiger. The American version
can have the carrier holes drilled out a step to allow it's use too.
If a later decision to use a U.S. ring gear is made, a step-down bolt,
made for Jaguar conversions, will accommodate the change."

Steve Laifman

--
-----

Steve Laifman