Etching primers

To: "'choffman9@cinci.rr.com'" <choffman9@cinci.rr.com>
Subject: Etching primers
From: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.Ronak@AkzoNobel.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 13:19:56 -0500
Listers,
As far as priming goes there are 3 distinct stages you need for proper and
durable protection.

The first is of course the Corrosion protection that is provided by an
etching primer. These are available in application containers but I would
question ANY that come in a metal can as if they are any good at etching
they would eat through the can. Our company (Akzo Nobel Sikkens) offers an
Etch Marker (Etch Pen) that is an oversize marker that is used to coat metal
surfaces and etch them. We also offer the product in volumes to be used with
professional spray equipment. The sole purpose of this product is to provide
adhesion to the metal substrate. There are NO UV stabilizers in this
product, it is very thin and it will break down VERY quickly. The sole
purpose is to provide a corrosion resistant coating that will chemically
bond to a Primer surfacer coat. Some epoxy's provide decent corrosion
protection but are not available in a rattle can due to the 2 component
nature of the product. There are also health issues with the fumes from the
epoxy product (Be careful fellows or your babies will have 3 heads).

The Second coat would be a primer coat and this simply sticks to the etch
coat and provides a surface you can level by sanding. It does NOT contain
any UV protection and in many cases is porous and must be coated with a UV
screening coat for protection.

Third coat is the Topcoat which when applied correctly will provide enough
UV screening to protect the primer from decomposing due to UV. GM and Ford
and Chrysler tried to skimp on this back in the 80's and wound up with tons
of peeler issues.

Best Regards,

Tim Ronak
Business Development Manager
Akzo Nobel Coatings
23961 Via El Rocio
Mission Viejo, CA   92691
Off: (949) 305-5393
Fx: (425) 955-6268
Cell: (949) 289-3357
email: timothy.ronak@akzonobel.com
VM: (800) 234-6747 ext. 2257#

This message, including attachments, is confidential and may be privileged.
If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender then delete
and destroy the original message and all copies. You should not copy,
forward and/or disclose this message, in whole or in part, without
permission of the sender.