Re: T5 Trans Info

To: RMEbstein@aol.com
Subject: Re: T5 Trans Info
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 18:51:15 -0800
At 04:31 PM 2/13/2005, you wrote:
>Listers,
>
>Not only has the 0.83 5th gear been discontinued for the close ratio (2.95)
>T-5, but Tremec (now owns Borg Warner) has also discontinued the 0.73 5th
>gear.  There's still a limited supply available, for how long I do not know.

I might be helpful to point out that the T-5 OD gears are driven from the
cluster shaft and the ratio of the input gear to the cluster is part of the
equation.  The touted 0.8 OD gears actually have a 53/33 tooth count thus
yielding a 0.6226 change in ratio.  Typical other OD gears have tooth
counts of 59/27 yielding a .4576 change in ratio.  These ratios must be
multiplied by the input / cluster ratio to calculate the actual OD
gearing.  The transmission I have been using for my T-5 development has a
input gear count of 23 and a cluster count of 34 yielding a reduction ratio
of 1.478.  So the combination of 23/34 and 27/59 produces a standard 0.68
OD output.                    Tom Hall