Re: rear end stuff

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>, "Frank P. Marrone"
Subject: Re: rear end stuff
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:49:42 -0800
Frank,
 My end play was at .004 on my car before I took it apart. I was at a loss
to find the end play shims so I used what I had considering the car probably
had that setting from day one. When I put it back together I had the same
.004 end play, and might I say it seemed like a forced .004 at that. Now, in
my case the axles (bearings) held so tight that the car almost fell off the
jackstands getting them out. Perhaps not advisable I honed out the bearing
housing some. There was still a press fit when I was done, but not nearly as
tight as before. IF your bearings went in real tight to the housing they
might have gone too far.
 If you feel comfortable try using a wheel/axle puller (with as much force
as you feel comfortable not to damage the bearings) on each side and then
measure the end play. However, if your bearings went in as tight as mine
came out end play would likely be set for the life of he car depending on
how deep the bearing race initially went in. Others don't always seem to
have these problems, but for some of us Murphy's law applies across the
board regarding these Tiger rear ends.
Tom Witt