RE: 15 inch tires

To: <Drmoonstone@aol.com>
Subject: RE: 15 inch tires
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 07:49:10 -0800
Doc Moonstone,

Yeah, bench racing's almost as fun as the real thing. However, I interpret
you anecdote a bit differently. As they often say about computer models -
junk in, junk out. From a basic physics point of view, if you have an
accurate HP vs. rpm curve, car weight, and gear ratios, one can calculate
with exceeding accuracy, the maximum final trap speed of the car. Wind
resistance and other frictional losses, smoking the tires, etc., will just
reduce that top speed. If your buddy is getting a top speed of 177 mph, then
his dyno data is simply wrong, which I don't find so surprising, although
usually it's wrong in the other direction. If he feeds the correct HP vs.
rpm data into the program, it will calculate the optimum shift points which,
as you say, beats using the seat of your pants.

Bob