RE: synthetic lube;tranny and rear end

To: "'Tony Somebody'" <achd73@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: synthetic lube;tranny and rear end
From: "Theo Smit" <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:39:32 -0700
Hi Tony,
Well... Just because you don't see the reply on the list, doesn't mean that
Joey didn't get any (unless he specifically told you that). Everyone is free
to carry on private correspondence with whatever list members they choose
to.

Specifically for your question: I've used Mobil 1 15W-50 in racing
applications. For the street I'd use their 5W30 oil. Thicker oil is only of
benefit when you are going to be running the engine at high speed, at high
oil temperatures, for a long time. Otherwise it's a waste of gas, and to the
extent it's harder to pump, it's also harder on your engine, since the more
viscous oils will actually give you lower oil flow at any given temperature
or pump output pressure. As has been mentioned previously, (most of) our
Tigers aren't race cars. In accordance with that observation, we shouldn't
pretend that putting in racing grade oils makes it a race car. ;)
If your engine has high mileage then you may want to run a thicker grade
just so the oil pressure at idle doesn't get really scary.

For the transmission you can get Mobil 1 75W-90 or 85W-140 (IIRC). The thick
stuff, again, is not beneficial on the street, and it would probably just
make it very hard to shift. Same goes for the differential, with whatever
caveats are required for limited-slip installations. As far as I know you
_can_ run Mobil 1 gear oil in a clutch-type limited-slip diff without any
additives. If this is wrong someone please speak up...

I'm currently using a synthetic (not Mobil 1) 75W-90 oil in the steering
rack. It feels very smoooooth.
Best regards,
Theo