PS Enginering

To: "tiger list" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: PS Enginering
From: "Sharon Mountjoy" <mtjoy@telis.org>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 21:32:37 -0800
Guess I have to claim responsibility for the PS kidney-port wheels.

Years ago I was looking for a period style wheel but didn't like the
Panasports.  There was nothing out there.  Finally, after talking to many
people I heard of the Hallibrand wheel that was basically made for the Corvair
but also fit the Tiger's bolt pattern!  It was a four-port kidney style
without the web between the ports, as opposed to Bob's five-port Doan Spencer
style wheels.  I also heard about Phil Schmidt and his company.

I called Phil and talked about wheels.  I was still really looking for
something in wheels like the Cobra had.  In Talking with Phil he said he could
make Cobra style wheels for me but mentioned what would be most correct for
the Tiger would be the Teddy Hallibrand kidney-port wheel.  He had one on the
shelf and was willing to "sacrifice" it to make some re-pops for me.

Phil had never, at that time, made a two piece wheel and was somewhat
intrigued with the project.  What Phil did was take to original wheel, cut off
the barrel, then build up the center section to accommodate up to a 15" wheel.
He had the centers cast at the Buddy Bar, the same place that did the original
Hallibrand wheels.  He then machined the wheel centers for a 15" wheel
diameter and interference fit them to 15" ARE barrels, did a full circle weld
and machined them for my back spacing.  What I ended up with was two sets of
7" x 15" wheels with a 4.5" back spacing that I can run at all four corners of
my Tiger.  They weigh in at 13 lb. 8 oz., each.  So, with this one center Phil
can make these wheels in a 13" to 15" format with a back spacing to your spec.

With my wheels Phil powder coated one set with a dull, gold color to replicate
the chromate conversion coating used on period wheels of race cars (the
process was used to preserve the magnesium material of the wheels before they
were put into service).  I used these wheels extensively for autocrossing
without a bit of trouble.  The second set of wheels have shot-peened centers
with polished barrels.  Both sets are stunning!

The center caps are like original...  short tri-wings.  There aren't any pics
of these on-line but if anyone is interested in these wheels, e-mail me off
the list & I'll be more than happy to sent pics of the process as well as each
style of the finished wheels at Phil's shop and on my street Tiger.

Darrell