Re: Roush Crate Engine in Tiger

To: tigr260@comcast.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Roush Crate Engine in Tiger
From: RMEbstein@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:09:09 EST
Hi Kent,

I've mentioned a few times on the List that I'm considering buying a Roush
or Ford crate engine. The Roush engines are complete, but appear to use the
standard Ford block. The newer and cheaper HP Ford crate engines use the
Sportsman block. I want the Sportsman block, since it has 10 extra pounds in
all
the right places. I would guess that Roush would do it if you want to pay a
little extra. The R engines are the forged engines (pistons and crank) and sell

for $9,500 without the full polish treatment, which I don't want. I spoke with
a  Roush vendor in Southern California who implicitly trusts Roush and their
engines. He says he has sold over a 100 and not had one returned. I have his
name and number at my office if you want it.

The one thing I've been told by a few people is that with the 342's or
anyone's 347 (.030 overbore) engines that there will be regular oil loss due to

the long rods and short pistons and cylinder walls. This is why I'm considering

the 327R. One of my minor issues is that they will not divulge their
proprietary  camshaft spec info.

Someone even makes a 382 cubic inch engine, but from a Dart built 302  block.
The Dart blocks are by far the best. I have a 540ci engine in my '66
Corvette and the Dart casting is virtually flawless, has blind holes and  the
oiling
system was modified for better oiling.

Rodney