Carb Spacer

To: <Caseyh4312@aol.com>
Subject: Carb Spacer
From: "Doug Leithauser" <dleit@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 10:44:39 -0400
I have not owned an original Tiger manifold & 2bbl, which is what I think
you have, or an F4B, so this is some hearsay, but it is my understanding
that you are not going to fit a spacer of any sort between the F4B and the
carb & still close a stock hood. This also has the problem of how to connect
the pcv, you need to have a pcv port on the carburetor, or drill another
vacuum port into the manifold.
    The spacer with water running through it to keep the carb warm to
prevent icing. This is not usually a problem on Tigers these days, but could
be possible if driven in cool, wet weather. My car does not have an coolant
running under the carb & I have never experienced an icing problem, though I
do not usually drive the car in the rain. Typical symptoms of carb icing, is
the engine slowly looses power, eventually you come to a stop at the side of
the road, usually on a cold rainy day, and sit there for 5 minutes wondering
what happened. At this time, the engine heat melts the ice build up in the
carb, the car starts & runs normally, and you drive away wondering what the
heck happened.
I have a low rise 4bbl manifold of unknown origin with a 1" plastic spacer
and an old Carter AFB carburetor. One advantage of this setup is the plastic
spacer insulates the carb enough that I do not have problems with the fuel
boiling in the carburetor after a short stop, such as a gas stop, that I had
in the past without the plastic spacer.

Happy Motoring!

Doug Leithauser

Got Jesus?...Don't leave Earth without Him!