Re: new MGB body shell

To: "Stephen Waybright" <gswaybright@yahoo.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: new MGB body shell
From: "Kathy and Erich Coiner" <kathy.coiner@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 19:51:34 -0700
This is a tough one.

On a car with a separate body and chassis, the chasis is the car from a
legal and collector car status.  Lots of Ferrari's have had their bodies
changed over the years.  They remain Ferrari's, they don't become fakes or
clones or reproductions.  They are serial # xxxxx "rebodied"  Sometimes the
body that was removed gets put on a reproduction frame.  That car does not
become a real Ferrari. It is a "bitsa"  A car made from a bitsa this and a
bitsa that.

On a unibody car like the Tiger, there is no separate chassis. The whole
thing "IS the car"
There is a whole philosophical debate that we can and have had about how
much of that unibody can be replaced and still be a Tiger.  I don't want to
have that discussion again.  :)

So I will argue that replacing the entire unibody of a Tiger with a newly
made article will mean the end of the Tiger and the start of a new car.

Erich