Re: Dipsticks

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dipsticks
From: Theodore Brown <tbrown@midcoast.com>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 12:26:13 -0400
Hello All:
Just to add more grist for the mill...

The dipstick from my car (MkIA) disappeared during the engine rebuild and I
have been trying to find a replacement, like many others.  I have also
replaced the original factory oil filter setup with the Ford right angle
adapter (M6880A50) so I am assuming that the oil capacity/requirement of
the engine is somewhat different from the original arrangement.  So, my
question is, how many quarts of oil should I add when I do an oil/filter
change?  In other words, what is the capacity of the engine?  Knowing that,
I can make a mark on the dipstick I am using so that I can monitor the
level.  It would be nice to have an original, correct dipstick but, more
importantly, I would also like to know that I have the correct amount of
oil in the sump.  I have heard that 4 quarts is the correct number, so that
is what I have been using but, in view of the exorcism of the original oil
lines & filter, is 4 quarts overfilling?

Thanks in advance,

Tod
B382002384LRXFE