my shifter/transmission problem

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: my shifter/transmission problem
From: Rollright@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 17:07:51 EDT
Hello campers,

I have a dead stock Mk 1A with about 145K miles on it.   #  382002083
Had it 29 years
About 10 years ago it developed a problem that I'm hoping others have
encountered and solved. I'm further hoping they can share their "cure" with  me.

Either the shifter mechanism or the transmission jams in a gear and no
amount of jiggling of the lock-out bar or anything short of "intervention"
(mentioned below) frees the system.
I would like to mention that it seems that it happens in times when the car
needed application of the reverse gear tee-bar which is sometimes necessary to
 "get it in a gear" in low speeds.

Intervention as mentioned above is to go through the transmission tunnel
side port with a long screwdriver and pry on of the shifter rods and "pop" all
is well.....until the next time.

Living in Massachusetts, the season is relatively short. But this does
happen perhaps twice a season. At least now I can fix it fairly quickly, but I
got
caught in downtown Boston (first occurrence) and had to figure out the "fix"
a ways from home. Near Fenway Park, by the way
home of the World Champion Boston Red Sox. How about them Red Sox?

So, any ideas?

Jim  Armstrong
Rollright@aol.com