Re: Hardtop Hoist Pics?

To: hs manning <hsmanning@hotmail.com>, Tiger List
Subject: Re: Hardtop Hoist Pics?
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 15:20:21 -0700
HS Manning,

Unfortunately, I did not (yet) receive the referenced e-mail (if it went
to the List), but I can tell by your URL quote that it is only a partial
address.  It should have started: http://www.XXX etc.

I will look for the original, if it gets on the list.

If not, I have designed and built one for my hard top.  It uses a manual
winch with a worm drive for added mechanical advantage.  Made in China,
it was not expensive.  I mounted it on a vertical garage stud, but it
could be most anywhere handy.  I bought "swivel" rope pulleys at Home
Depot for about 3/8 flat braided nylon cord.  I used a double sheaved
pulley at the lift hook, and ran the line from a garage beam eye bolt,
through the double sheaves. back up to another swivel back down second
sheave coaxial pulley, then back to the roof horizontal joists, guided
over and then down to the winch.  Using the one double sheave pulley
cuts the amount of pull required in half, but doubles the line you must
move to hoist the top.  The winch has enough power to lift the car, but
it is hand cranked, slowly.

It is attached to the top with a snap fitting, old seat belts in a "Y"
shape attached under a simple foam covered wood beam inside the top at
the junction of the horizontal and vertical window opening, which is
just about the center of gravity.  It takes a lot of hand cranking to
move all the line you want to get the top to the garage ceiling, but
using a half inch drill clamped to the worm drive shaft, instead of the
hand crank, you can wind it up fairly quickly.  Since I only do this
twice a year, I didn't need anything fancier - or I would have built a
motorized version  (many more $$$$$).

I realize this is hard to visualize, and although I can take pictures,
the list won't accept them, but I could send you an individual set.   If
there is sufficient interest in a crude system, I can post the pics on
pages of TigersUnited.com, without incorporating it into the web
directory, but having a direct URL Hate to mess up the great site
designs with a home-made jury rig - cheap, but it works.  Really not
comparable to some of the exquisite designs for cars already there.

Let me know, and I will watch for that original referral, as your
message deleted the original text and sender.

Steve

___
Steve Laifman
Editor - TigersUnited.com