Re: (no subject) Shroud/Fan depth

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>, <MACHWIL@aol.com>
Subject: Re: (no subject) Shroud/Fan depth
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 17:44:14 -0700
Bud,
 I sometimes wonder that there just aren't cars with every inaccurate
British fitment going for it. That being every little 1/64"-1/32" added up
with
the right combination of parts favorably makes the difference. Hence, If the
car had the most mis-placed (forward) radiator cradle, the thinnest
radiator, the shortest timing chain cover, the shortest water pump, the
shortest hub, the largest blade fan, the shortest depth fan shroud and the
most rearward set engine then it might add up to getting the fan were they
say it "should" be.
  If it is any reference help, I have a 5 bolt 289 with an unknown "rebuilt"
water pump. The hub is forward facing,  standard (non-Tiger) pressed nearly
as far as it will go. This aligns the stock Tiger pulley with the crank
pulley. The fan is the Volvo "safety yellow" model. The engine is pulled
back
as far as it can go (including having slotted the engine mounts).   Note too
that I bent the lower shroud mounts to actually bring the shroud against the
radiator and recall "encouraging" the radiator cradle gently forward with a
large hammer when I replaced my front clip. Still, this barely has the fan
outside on the top and passenger side of the shroud. However, the drivers
side is out about 3/4" (those inaccuracies I was talking about). There is
also a maximum of 1/2"-5/8" clearance
between the radiator, the fan and nose of the water pump shaft.
  One might want to argue that I don't have the" right hub" and "right water
pump." BUT, I do have the right placement of the stock Tiger pulleys and
basically that puts it all back into the right perspectives as far as I can
see. I also think as best I can tell that the Volvo fan has a deeper blade
than the stock Tiger fan (I've only seen pictures). Perhaps the Tiger fans
blades are set back farther
on it's face???
 Anyway, I just wanted to illustrate the point that I set the cradle,
radiator and shroud as far forwards as I possibly could. I set the fan, it's
attachment point and engine as far back as I could and I can still barely
get the fan out of the shroud.
 Regards, Tom Witt