Non-Tiger battery vs alternator problem

To: "Tiger" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Non-Tiger battery vs alternator problem
From: "Derrick Schmidt" <glowboy@starstream.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 22:18:51 -0700
'91 Taurus SHO 183k miles.

Optima battery that's quite old.

The battery idiot light started coming on about a week ago.
First only when hot (at the end of a trip) and idling.  Gradually
coming at higher and higher RPM.  It fades on & off.  No
hesitation whatsoever starting.

I'm thinking battery is on it's way out and the internal
resistance is gradually going up and in a few more days I
won't be able to make the battery idiot light go back off.
shortly after that it will start getting harder to start.

I'm shopping for a replacement vehicle but could use a few
more weeks.  Was considering buying the CHEAPEST battery
that will start the car.

Any thought?

Derrick

'66 MkIa