Re: Pertronix

To: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Pertronix
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:12:03 -0600
Hi all,
A bit of correction is in order here... All other things being equal,
the spark voltage is proportional to the plug gap. What that means is
that IF you enlarge the gap, you will increase the spark voltage. If you
don't change the gap, the spark voltage will stay the same unless the
cylinder conditions become such that a higher voltage (which the old
coil couldn't provide) is required to fire the plug. If the coil can
provide the voltage, then the plug will fire, otherwise you'll get a
misfire.
However, the extra voltage isn't always a good thing. The ignition
system will create an arc wherever the resistance is least, and if you
have marginal insulation in the high-voltage system (the cap, rotor,
plug wires, and plugs) then you can cause the system to burn through
whatever weak spot is there. That is generally a self-destructive
situation, and if you have a stock engine (or even a well-tuned and
maintained zoomy one) there is no need to explore the limits of the
coil's voltage ratings by radically changing the plug gap.
You can in some cases improve peak engine performance or drivability by
increasing the plug gaps, but without a dyno it's hard to objectively
judge any difference unless there was some really bad pre-existing
condition to begin with.

Best regards,
Theo

PS: The tach upgrades that Rob, Tom, and I do, are the same.