get smart remake

To: "'Tigers'" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: get smart remake
From: "bob josten" <bobjosten@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 23:13:06 -0700
A couple of years ago Variety reported that Warner Brothers was talking with
Will Ferrell about starring in a "Get Smart' movie. Later he apparently
dropped out of the running for the role and last year there were articles
about a Daily Show actor named Steve Carell being offered the part in this
movie that is still in development.
Just this week the number one movie in the country is 'The 40 Year Old Virgin'
starring Steve Carell.
I also saw the following on a 'Get Smart' fansite. According to the author
there is a good chance of seeing a Tiger in an unfunny movie remake of the tv
series.
Bob

What's this I hear about a new Get Smart movie?

JULY 2005 Update: According to a well-informed source, comic B.J. Novak is the
latest writer to take a try at the script. Novak, who stars in "The Office"
with Carrell, has limited screenwriting experience. Bob Weide, who has
directed and produced a ton of episodes of "Curb Your Enthusiasm," may also be
attached to direct the movie. With TV remakes like Bewitched underperforming
at the box office, the Get Smart movie is not assured of being made. My source
believes that Carrell's new movie "The Forty Year Old Virgin" will need to be
a hit in order to advance this movie forward, as there's no excitement over a
Get Smart movie and the ongoing script problems are an issue. I estimate its
chances of being made at 40%.

Let me also take this chance correct a huge piece of mis-information that is
on IMDB.com. Mel Brooks has nothing, nothing to do with this movie and never
has. He is NOT the author of the script. In fact, in a pathetic move, the
producers have never contacted any of the original writing/producing staff
about their project. They seem to be more concerned with duplicating the car
from the show rather than its wit and characters.