Re: Fuel line

To: Tiger List Serve <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel line
From: Randy Smith <RSSmithIQ@cs.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 20:15:33 -0400
OK-

I went ahead and cut the line and removed it from the pump.  A standard
5/16" compression fitting will work to put it back together.  Now what
I'm dealing with is the fitting that connects to the pump.  It has a nut
similar to a compression fitting (though it looks slightly larger) and
it has sort of a reverse flair end.  Kind of like a male version of a
flair.  The leak is where this fitting is attached to the steel line.
It appears to be soldered on and in fact, I removed it by heating it.
When I attempted to solder it back on, it doesn't want to adhere to the
pieces very well.  I know how to solder, having done a lot of plumbing.
I really don't think solder works on steel line, does it?  Should I be
using silver solder or something different?  Should I try to braze it?
The "flair" piece looks like brass or bronze.  Can I replace this
fitting?  Is it a standard fuel system piece?  Can I stick a compression
collar on the line, inside the original nut and attach it to the pump
fitting without the flair fitting?  Has anyone replaced on of these
lines?  Any suggestions?

Thanks- Randy

--

Randy Smith