Re: Proof I do drive my car

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Proof I do drive my car
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 13:50:53 -0700
I can sure tell you what NOT to do:
 1. Don't assume you can tilt the car and get all the gas to one side.
--- The guy I purchase my car from had it stored at Smitty's. Smitty put
about a gallon of gas in it just to get it up on the trailer. A few days
later I was trying to extricate a dead rat from under the driver's side
tank. It sure looked like tilting the car with a floor jack would allow me
to pull the tank...... . (continued)

2. Don't use a light that potentially generate a spark (especially when
dropped).
--- I had suspended a clip-on light to the open trunk lid to illuminate the
area I was working in. (continued)

3. Don't do this in the garage.
--- My garage is attached to my home.  Poor construction methods resulted in
a floor that was originally poured flat. A cracked and lifting garage slab
floor causes anything from the center, back to drain into the garage.
   My Tiger was backed in the garage. I put the driver side up on the floor
jack to transfer the gas (or so I thought). I illuminated the area with the
mentioned clip-on light attached at the trunk lid.
    When I pulled the crossover hose gas gushed out all over the place. In
my frantic-ness to control the leak I knocked the light off the trunk. It
fell onto the gas strewn floor that was draining towards the rear interior
of the garage.  I have knocked this light over scores of times and almost
every time the bulb breaks and the filament flames out. By some miracle it
didn't this time.  I guess some CAT's do have nine lives.
 I am now a trained professional and will never try this at home (again).
Tom Witt