Hi-Po 289 valve adjustments

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Hi-Po 289 valve adjustments
From: "Nathan Johnson" <vesselofgrace@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 22:08:12 +0000
I picked up a 1966 Ford Mustang manual and was reading how to adjust the
valves on the solid lifter 289 the PO decided to put in my Mark IA.  It
seemed easy enough, especially compared with the valve adjustments that I
used to have to make on my Alpine since according to the manual you just
leave the engine idling and don't have to worry about trying to turn it to
the right position 16 times.  But that is where my problem is.  I find oil
spitting up ALL OVER the engine compartment to the point that it burns my
hands and I have difficulty keeping a grip on the feeler gauges (not to
mention the incredible mess that it makes).  Is there anyone on the list
that could share their expereince in adjusting valves as well as the
intervals they find work best?

Nathan Johnson