Re: Pardon me, but my ignorance is showing

To: James Pickard <geowiz.sgy@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Pardon me, but my ignorance is showing
From: Steve Sage <fastsage@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 21:30:56 -0700
James Pickard wrote:

> I found the adjustment screws and
>backed them out to the softest setting.  What a difference!  The car has
>rear suspension now, and rides 10 times better. ............
>So now I want to soften the front as well.  Problem is, the nice little
>adjustment screws aren't accessible from under the car.  Can I get to them
>by removing the front wheels? .............

Hello Jim:
I've had the same Spax shocks on my Tiger for years. They are really
good and give a great ride when adjusted properly. The back shocks are
easy to adjust as you've already found. When they're adjusted too tight,
they do give an Indy car ride, just like you say. Not good for the street.

To get to the front shock adjusters, just jack the front of the car up.
You don't need to take the wheels off. This will allow the A arms to
swing down and also uncompress the springs a bit. You'll now be able to
get a screwdriver in between the spring coils to get to the adjusters. A
medium to short screwdriver will do the job. You'll probably have to lay
on your back to do the job, and it's still a bit awkward depending on
the spring coils (you'll see what I mean when you do it) but it will work.

Steve Sage