Re: Is it over yet? NO, FUEL!!

To: tonythetiger@onecliq.net, garywinblad@comcast.net, mjsutter@cox.net,
Subject: Re: Is it over yet? NO, FUEL!!
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 10:56:31 EST
Hey Tony

Now in Ft Wayne.

I can't remember hearing about a fire resulting from a rear end  collision.
Even Uncle Wally's Tiger didn't leak.  It was hit hard enough in  the
rear to brake the engine mounts.

I too am paranoid about this.  The tank themselves are well  protected
inside the fender.  It's the fuel pipes that run inside the rear  valence,
The rear bumper is held by a 'C' shaped piece welded to a matching
piece in the body.  The fuel pipes run the opening formed by the
two 'C' halves. A good hit would easily break the weld and drive
the bracket into the fuel pipe.  I had the right bracket weld  break
and for years drove with the bumper held only by the valence
sheet metal.  Good luck getting anyone to reweld the bracket  with
the gas tanks and pipes there.  Had to wait until I removed both
and drove to the shop with a jury rigged gallon jug of gas.

Another worry for me is the fuel pump mounted over the right
muffler.  I know the famous SU pumps NEVER leak and always
work, but I worry when I see gas stains on top of the muffler.   I
tell people that the muffled explosion and sheet of flame I see in
the mirror is my fuel pump leak detector!

I worry more about when an Excursion pulls up next to me and I
can see over the top of his lug nuts.

Dave