Re: Looooooow Gas Mileage Question

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Looooooow Gas Mileage Question
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 21:31:25 -0800
Steve,
   While there are always physical matters that contribute to low mileage
(dirty filters, stuck chokes etc.) some motors just give better mileage than
others. I know this guy who claimed that his mom's 302/Auto Torino got 24
MPG going through the California desert. I was a bit skeptical, but since
his mechanic friend was riding along and the mileage was checked both ways
there is some credibility. I had a '64 Falcon 260/Auto with tall 15" tires
(stock 14") and driving a steady 50 mph (when the limit was 55) I barely hit
20 MPG once, but typical got about 14-16 MPG. I did the same thing with my
240Z and got 33 MPG, but come winter and "normal" driving and it was more
like 19 MPG.
  I'm on a Mopar forum and there are guys with (light) A body 318's getting
12-14 MPG (me included) while others in much heavier and significantly
"smogged" Diplomats getting 22-24 MPG. The Dips do have the advantage of 2.2
gears and lock up trannies (but no overdrive), but that accounts for 10
MPG??? I'm not too sure lowering the RPM's always accounts for better
mileage. My Mazda 323 is at 3,000 RPM @ 65 mph (with a 5 speed at that), but
still gets 41 MPG at that speed (steady/level driving).
 I would think that your 0.73 ratio should help a bit. Also I recall you
have a rather high compression ratio (that should help too assuming there is
no pinging, or your timing is very retarded to avoid it).
 Perhaps you should let the dog crawl under the gas pedal and Jane can stare
you down like a card carrying PETA member and that might increase the
mileage!  :-)
 All kidding aside I would say it is the right foot, a rich engine, or a
leak somewhere assuming the rest of the car is in proper tune.
Tom Witt