Re: Alt con

To: AAAGLASSS@aol.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Alt con
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 00:15:49 EDT
Go down to your local Ford Industrial dealer and but a new
generator.  It's the same as a tractor generatoe.  Replace
the regulator too.

The Ford generator usually lasts for years and years.
At least 60K miles on the brushes.

Are you drawing so much power that the generator burns out?

The bearings are wear and tear items. Ditto brushes.  The front
bearing is best replaced with an arbor press.  The back bearing
you can do yourself.

I took my genrator to a old automotive shop in Aurora.
The guy reached under the counter and pulled two bearings
out without even looking up the part number.  He said
Ford generators all use the same standard bearings.
He pressed the front bearing off/on while I waited.

$10 each.  That was 4 years ago.

You have to find an old machine shop.  Not the new
box stores.

If you go the alternator route, keep the generator
and brackets.

As the old Sunbeam adage says.  Never throw anything away.

Good luck.

Dave Johnson