Re: Alt con

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Alt con
From: "Tony Someone" <tonythetiger@onecliq.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 23:40:18 -0500
You could replace the gen. front bearing and a new belt and make the show.
Also depending on the alt. you purchase. There are very small units
available in chrome amd plain and as one wire . A larger Ford alt. can be
made into a one wire by adding a small device to the back of the alt. that
replaces the voltage regulator. Depending on the alt. you buy you might be
able to mount the alt without using a bracket. many Ford applications have
no top bracket, instead they used a piece of tubing or small diameter pipe
for lack of the exact ID and a long bolt. The bolt goes thru the alt. and
then the correct length of tubing( in order to get the pulleys in line) and
directlly into the head, the bottom of the alt. then uses an adjusting slide
which bolts to the water pump and a hole in the bottom of the alt. That part
is semi banana shaped and sloted so you can tighten the belt. If you have a
walk in salvage yard in your area that hasnt mashed all the older Fords you
can find what you need to make an alt. work. Owning a torch and a welder,
drill press and some bits and pieces of metal you could also fabricate one
as previously mentioned or improve the Pik a Part model you found. I have no
idea how late a model car might have parts that would help but many older
models used the long bolt thru the top and the tubing spacer. Mustang Parts
books also sell brackest for 60s alts.used on sbf engines.I think CAT also
has, if any are in stoock a very nice aluminum bracket- price uknown. It
makes it easier if you dont care if the alt if Ford or not and one wire is,
in my opinion the only replacemet alt. to use, no matter the brand. Good
Luck, please post your results and the parts necessary to convert fo the
rest of us generator people. TTT