Front cover

To: <lgooch@satx.rr.com>, <lon@sedona.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Front cover
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 11:25:04 -0400
Lewis
        All you need to be concerned with is; does the water pump seal to
the cover; does the cover leak to the timing chain side.   No leaks allowed.

        The front cover is a fairly thin casting of aluminum; I would not
use a grinder here at all.   The flow of antifreeze does not care if it
encounters a rough area.   If the rough area is very sharp and might cut
you; then I would consider using a file to remove just the sharp edges.

        The original 260 front cover uses an open back aluminum water pump.
The 289 front cover was redesigned and uses a closed back cast iron water
pump.   Each seals differently and they are not interchangeable.

This is a picture of a front cover for an aluminum water pump.

http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/RonakCam/pt-RonakCam4.asp

This is a picture of the 289 front cover for a cast iron water pump.
Sorry for the long web address below; its all I could find.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-289-timing-cover-1965-C5OE-6059-A1_W0QQi
temZ8068399634QQcategoryZ33625QQssPageNameZWD6VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphot
ohosting

Ron Fraser