Re: Fulcrum fix update

To: DJoh797014@aol.com
Subject: Re: Fulcrum fix update
From: Theo Smit <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 23:33:48 -0600
Dave,
As I'm sure you and Dr. Herro know, the devil is in the details... were
you running your car on the street with Delrin (hard, black plastic)
bushings? Or were the bushings made of urethane rubber (slightly
deformable, shiny black or red or possibly some other color)?

Delrin bushings really should only be used in competition applications
where maintaining proper alignment under high wheel loads is imperative.
They directly transfer all the road shocks due to poor pavement, speed
bumps,  etc. into the fulcrum pins, and I think that the instantaneous
stress could be high enough that the number of cycles to failure would
be significantly reduced when using the Delrin bushings compared to the
stock rubber or the various urethane rubber bushings.

There is still no substitute for safety... it's worthwhile to inspect
the pins and their attaching hardware periodically, especially if you
use grippy tires and if the car sees the occasional speed event.

Best regards,
Theo