RE: How the Fulcrum Pin Broke

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: How the Fulcrum Pin Broke
From: "John Crawley" <alittlemoreink@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 15:53:16 +0000
Hi All:

Here is how the fulcrum pin on my TIGER was broken.

1.   Direction of travel (forward, backward)
2.   Rate of speed
        Est. 80 MPH
3.   Turning -if so- (left, right)
        Straight ahead
4.   If turning (sharp or mild)
        NA
5.   Did break occur during braking?
        No the DPOs foot was hard on the gas
6.   Does Tiger have wider than stock tires?
        Stock
7.   Does Tiger have different wheel offset than stock?
        Stock steel Wheels
8.   Does Tiger have different bushings than stock?
        Stock
9.   Did the break occur when the Tiger stuck something?
        Side on into a Chevy Suburban
10. Did break occur in the upper or lower pin?
        Lower
11. Did break occur at the front or back of the pin?
        Back
11a.    Right or Left?
        Right
12. Did break inward or outward?
        Inward
13. Is Tiger used in competition (thus generating higher than normal
Stresses)?
        No
14. Mileage on Tiger
        Unknown
15. Anything else you would like to add:

        This accident happened to the dreaded previous owner (DPO). He was in a
minor fender bender when a car came out of a parking stall (accident #1) and
hit his right rear fender. He jammed on the brakes  missed and hit the gas
and froze.

The police report read: From initial impact of accident #1, estimated at 30
MPH, there were 280 feet of marks on the road indicating continuous
acceleration to impact of accident #2, estimated speed to be in excess of 80
MPH. The injured drivers car (Sunbeam Tiger) traveled westerly and impacted
the drivers side of a Chevrolet Suburban traveling northerly at an
estimated speed of 50 MPH.

The TIGER was tied up in the legal system for years and sat in a wreckers
yard waiting for the insurance settlement. I bought it for 10 cents on the
dollar of settlement value. The TIGER suffered considerable damage and took
me three years to get back on the road. Fortunately most of the TIGER unique
parts were untouched because the Suburban was so high off the ground. The
DPO suffered worse than the car as he impacted the wooden steering wheel
which came apart resulting in a piece of the wood entering his arm, touching
his heart and coming to rest in his lung. He did not find it amusing when I
asked if he had kept the wooden piece as a souvenir and if so: could I get
it back to help restore the wheel.

Godspeed
Jc