Re: How the Fulcrum Pin Broke

To: Randy Smith <RSSmithIQ@cs.com>
Subject: Re: How the Fulcrum Pin Broke
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 09:58:17 -0700
Randy, Mayf, Tigers

On breaking loads, the l bending loads at the root between the bushing
and the pin (where the crack will be) is much greater in a slow,
reverse, full lock, parking maneuver.  The bending loads are
significantly higher than at speed because of the extreme angle the
wheel are in. In some cases one tire is not rolling, but is being
dragged sideways while not rotating.  The load is greatest just before
the tire starts to drag / skid.

Check it out, as this is not typical in car suspension geometry, and
only applies to this terrible design.  The bent steering rack arms are
the example of Shelby telling his engineer / mechanic " just make it fit
at an angle", from which all trouble then flows.

I have an acquaintance who taped George Boskoff's dinner speech, but he
has yet to get it transcribed.

Steve

___
Steve Laifman