Re: Edelbrock Carb

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Edelbrock Carb
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 09:47:39 -0700
Interesting, but requires lap top, etc.

Edelbrock offers an Air/Fuel ratio meter at low cost (#6593).  The
components are an oxygen sensor and weld bung for installing sensor in
exhaust pipe, and a remote read-out box of various color LED's to
indicate Air/Fuel ratio.  I have had one for years, with no failures.

The read-out cable (small) has been cut and spliced into a wire cable
connector for easy removal, and the read-out is attached with Velcro
under the dash.  It is unobtrusive, except for a car show, and I simply
left it in place.  It is very responsive to throttle position and load.
Read under proper road loading and throttle positions it gives an
instantaneous read out of the A/F ratio under real driving conditions.

Of course the adjusting of all the fuel delivery rate bits and pieces
requires some knowledge of the carb, it was easily used to select the
proper main, idle jets, springs, adjustments for most conditions.  With
today's gas, I found that running a bit rich gives the best performance.

With the proper selection of manifold and carb flow rating for your
engine size and tune, there are NO sogging, bogging, stumbling on quick
pedal use, or other symptoms usually found with the WRONG selection of
Carb size!!!!

I know a lot of neophytes believe "bigger is better", and saddle their
mildly tuned 260 CID with 600 or even 750 CFM carbs.  Lot's of flat
spots, sogging and bogging, yes?

With an F4B, good exhaust system, hot ignition, and Edelbrock LAT-1 465
CFM carb, the proper tune gives excellent performance with no downside
(except better mileage).  Now, of course, there is nothing wrong with 4
dual throat Webers - if you just want to show it.

BTDT

Steve

___
Steve Laifman