RE: Paint touch up

To: dhhall@bellsouth.net
Subject: RE: Paint touch up
From: "Paul R. Breuhan" <prbreuhan@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 10:21:29 -0400
David,
You really didn't give enough information...what and how you did it, the
products/paints used, what level of finish you hope to achieve.

But in general...
Final sanding BEFORE paint would be 600 grit paper. That can vary with the
color you are using and whether it's solid or metallic.

Buffing starts with 1200 or 1500 and ends with 2000. Again it depends upon
how smooth the paint you started with is, and how smooth you want to end up
(they do make 4000 grit pads for that show car look).

I always rely on the auto paint store I deal with for their recommendations,
since I trust them to know their products a lot better than I would.

Mainly you need to shoot for having the repair look like the rest of the
paint job, so the current conditon of the vehicle will influence you
choices.

Paul