Re: Lat 5 weld on bars

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lat 5 weld on bars
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 11:39:58 -0700
  I was curious if there is any "Ideal" place for the front end of the
traction bar to mount (assuming one uses un-modified rear mounts). I just
took a ruler and compass and did a rough sketch but the arc lines seemed to
pretty much overlap for what would be the travel distance of the Tiger
regardless of the position. Granted this is rough and not to scale so a
pencil width might actually show a change in actual use.
  It would seem the front spring bolt would be the ideal pivot point, but
even there the rear mount would need to come forward ever so slightly to
remain true to the arc.

All this of course only deals with binding/stressing issues. What these
mounting points do to roll centers etc. is more for an engineering
background that I don't have. Ideally I want to convert my weld-on bars to
bolt-on bars. But, before I do I wanted to consider if an alternate mounting
point is better than that which is typically used. I enjoy making "one off"
parts (in this case a special traction bar front mount bracket) that offers
any advantage. They problem I see with the bolt-on bars is that if they are
tight they will have some effect up to the point where (if) they potentially
slip, - or the lack of movement causes secondary issues (like little or no
spring flexing). On the other hand if they are loose what are they doing?
They just seem along for the ride.

That said, is function simplicity (using the bolt-on bar in the standard
way) effective enough and I should stop trying to "Rube Goldberg" the issue?

Tom Witt