Re: window regulator winder question

To: laurin212@yahoo.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: window regulator winder question
From: AAAGLASSS@aol.com
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 23:22:04 EDT
The larger basket (sounds good to me I don't know what to call it either)  is
attached to the handle shaft. The clutch spring fits around this. The smaller
 basket with the 3/4 gear fits inside this and slides on the shaft in between
the  spring ends then this goes in the housing. This(the spring) acts as a
stop  for the regulator. Without it the regulator will not hold the glass in
position.  If the housing and the outer shaft hole is not too worn you can have
welder re  weld this just make sure you have the original clearances. If it
is worn beyond  repair get a used regulator of the same shaft size(R or L will
work with the R  being the preferred one as it will have less wear than a used
L). Then change  the shaft/housing assembly. Be sure to disassemble and lube
with white grease  especially small basket shaft and spring. You can use pop
rivets to assemble  housing but sometimes the fan gear will not wind back
on(after the housing is  riveted on) as some gears have a self stop. Use a
cut-off
wheel or grinder  to shorten this so the gear will wind back on.  Also beware
of the counter  balance spring as when you remove the 3 rivets the spring will
unload. Put it in  a vise at the full up position and remove spring.  HTH