Re: Carburetor spacer/blanking plate

To: Tim Webster <crabco@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: Carburetor spacer/blanking plate
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 11:37:50 -0700
Tim,

Having BTDT (been there, done that!) I can give you my own observations
on my B9462289.

I have the F4B, the Holley 1848-1 465 CFM carb,  THE PCV VACUUM ROUTING,
and the fight with clearances.

Firstly, there is no way you are going to get ANY spacer under the carb,
and I have tried the expensive Ford Motorsport 1/4 inch thick "Boss 302"
carb spacer. It is metal, 1/4 inch thick, expensive, has the PCV
(positive crankcase ventilation) tube port.

It DOESN'T WORK, as it is too thick to use with the thin stock air
cleaner, and the stock, or LAT hood will not close.  The interference is
NOT in the center, but at the right and left edges of the air cleaner.

The ONLY solution I could find is the one used for the original LAT-1 :

http://www.tigersunited.com/resources/parts_service/pp-latinstruct3.asp

Which is to use the method Vic Edelbrock devised for the LAT-1 he ONLY
supplied to units made for Rootes "Los Angeles Tigers (LAT)"

http://www.tigersunited.com/resources/parts_service/pp-lat1install.asp

Another, expensive, option is to buy a later model 600 cfm carb base
(with butterflies) and substitute for original 150's design with NO PCV
requirements, or accommodations.  MUCH neater, more modern approach, but
not cheap.  Bolts right up to carb as replacement.

Steve

___
Steve Laifman
Editor - TigersUnited.com