Engine Test Stand

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine Test Stand
From: "Tigerman" <Tigerman67@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 15:24:55 -0600
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for engine test stands.

I saw a guy on ebay recently selling an engine with an interesting home made
add on to an engine stand to make it into a test stand. Item 130039287806 on
ebay if you want to look at what he built.

It looks like an interesting idea, although I have no idea if it is really
stable enough or not.

Basically I have the original 260 V8 sitting on an cheap engine stand  The
PO said that the only thing wrong with it was that the valve seals leaked,
and it made a huge smoke cloud behind it when you let off the pedal.  Who
knows how true that was, and how long then engine has really been on the
stand not running.  I doubt I would feel comfortable enough with that
evaluation to simply replace the valve seals and then stick the engine back
in the car.

My Tiger currently has a 5 bolt 289 in it that leaks like the Exxon Valdez,
and burns some oil on the passenger side bank.  So it sound like I really
have two engines that need a rebuild.

So my plan would probably be to rebuild the 260, and once done, swap with
the 289... then rebuild the 289. But I think having an engine sitting around
that is never run, probably isn't good.  Would it be better to have it on a
test stand and fire it up and run it up to operating temp once a month?

Any thoughts on the usefulness of an engine test stand and a cheap way to
build one?

Thanks,
Steve