Re: Engine Test Stand

To: "Tigerman" <Tigerman67@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Engine Test Stand
From: 65Tiger@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 02:17:14 +0000
resend, original did not post

Steve,
Back in 1999 I needed a dolly to move the engine around the garage, roll under
the Tiger to raise it into car, hold the transmission.  The dolly needed to
very low to limit the height the car had to be.  I started with a recycled 1
inch plywood (found in city recycling-very cheap) and mounted four casters
under it (found in recycling-also cheap).  The upright pieces were attached to
the plywood with angle iron available any hardware store.  These were also came
recycled (cheap).  That worked good to move the crate motor to from the car and
do many trial fits.  Much later (like a year) I wanted to test the motor prior
to installing and eyeballed this dolly and said, "would it hold a motor
running?"  I fastened some radiator supports to it (recycled lumber), hooked up
a fuel pump, connected an oil cooler, an oil filter, added some mufflers to the
headers, added a w ater temp and oil pressure gauge. an ignition switch (just !
a toggl e switch) and a started switch (toggle switc!
 h).  Th
e upright pieces sit under the oil pan side lips, the back supported the
tranny.  It was not bolted down, it did not move (nor did I wildly whip the the
throttle).  I used this contraption to break in the motor, test accessory
configurations prior to installing, test radiator fans, confuse my neighbors,
make noises at night, check out the motor.  The dolly was very useful and when
not in use, disassembled to a couple boards and wheels and stored out in the
shed.  I've used this dolly a few times since then.  I have one of those
inexpensive engine stands, I thought it would very unstable for a running motor
and dismissed that idea quickly.  Anyway, your email made me smile, especially
when you said 'cheap'.  To amuse you, I put some pictures at the below website.
 Just for the stand, the only thing I bought was lag screw s.  As Jim Barrett
used to write "use what you got".

http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=137959353/a=28433465_28433465/fromupload=true/t_=28433465

Curtis
(more photos available)