RE: Hypothetical brake question

To: <MWood24020@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Hypothetical brake question
From: "Theo Smit" <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 07:57:14 -0600
Thanks for the reply, Mike.
My reason for pondering the choice is that vented rotors are a LOT more
effective than solid discs from a cooling perspective. That's good if you're
racing a heavy car, but with a smaller car like the Tiger, will the brakes
ever reach operating temperature? On the other side of that coin, I used 10"
solid Datsun 280Z discs on the back of my road-race Corolla and I recall
that they ran as hot or hotter than the fronts (vented rotors up there) at
least partially because there isn't as much airflow to the rear brakes.

The GT discs are just over 0.5" thick, while the vented Cobra rotors are
0.71". Raybestos, at least, quotes two different part numbers for the Cobra
vs. the GT calipers, so I don't think that the calipers are interchangeable.
The rear 11.6" discs and calipers fit inside the 16" wheel with about 3/8"
to 1/2" radius to spare. I think the 13" rotors would be a very tight fit
even if you used a caliper with a skinny bridge. According to Ford Racing's
catalog, the Cobra brakes require the use of 17" wheels, which is obviously
not true for the rears, but I can see where the factory front brakes would
likely not fit the cast 16" wheels.

Best regards,
Theo