Re: Hypothetical brake question

To: theo.smit@dynastream.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hypothetical brake question
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 12:17:49 EDT
In a message dated 10/25/2006 6:58:34 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
theo.smit@dynastream.com writes:

Thanks  for the reply, Mike.
My reason for pondering the choice is that vented  rotors are a LOT more
effective than solid discs from a cooling  perspective. That's good if you're
racing a heavy car, but with a smaller  car like the Tiger, will the brakes
ever reach operating temperature? On  the other side of that coin, I used 10"
solid Datsun 280Z discs on the back  of my road-race Corolla and I recall
that they ran as hot or hotter than  the fronts (vented rotors up there) at
least partially because there isn't  as much airflow to the rear brakes.

The GT discs are just over 0.5"  thick, while the vented Cobra rotors are
0.71". Raybestos, at least, quotes  two different part numbers for the Cobra
vs. the GT calipers, so I don't  think that the calipers are interchangeable.
The rear 11.6" discs and  calipers fit inside the 16" wheel with about 3/8"
to 1/2" radius to spare.  I think the 13" rotors would be a very tight fit
even if you used a caliper  with a skinny bridge. According to Ford Racing's
catalog, the Cobra brakes  require the use of 17" wheels, which is obviously
not true for the rears,  but I can see where the factory front brakes would
likely not fit the cast  16" wheels.

Best regards,
Theo

Hi Theo,
If I'm not mistaken, the rear calipers are identical and the pads are of a
different thickness. I went through all of this with my '02 GT, when I set it
up  for open track. Of course, my memory could be wrong!
Also, I believe you're right about the 13" Brembo/PBR "Cobra" set up  needing
a 17" rim. I forgot that the '02 came with 17X8", I was thinking only my
track rims were 17's and the stockers were 16's.
Regardless, I would go with the larger, vented rotor in the rear. If you're
concerned about heat range, just stick with the oem Ford pads (or equivalent),
 they'll heat up real quick...don't ask me how I know! I'm willing to bet
that  you'll quickly move to a HP street pad...
Mike