Cam destruction

To: "Tigers" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cam destruction
From: "tonbren" <tonbren@chariot.net.au>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 23:20:43 +0930
Hi Listers

I thought I was the only one with this problem, I have just replaced a faulty
roller cam in my 429 SCJ because I had broken 2 guide bars in 2 seperate
incidents (Chet Herbert parts I would not recommend this brand to anyone) I
decided to go back to flat tappet solid cam as original. Done all the correct
procedures plenty of cam lube and lubricating oil, fired it up and run for
about 12 or so minutes at about 1800 rpm shut the engine down checked tappet
clearances (good) and bolt torques fired engine up again only run for about 8
minutes when I started to hear excessive valve noise. Shut engine down removed
valve covers and found the valve clearance had gone from .019 to about.080 on
some lifters. Pulled out the new Crane lifters and they were stuffed, smooth
even wear on most had the hardness tested at 59 Rockwell whether they were
worn or not so worn. Sent them to Crane they were amazed but couldn't give me
an explanation.
Contemplating the next step I know now the engine has to come to get rid of
all that metal.

Tony in Adelaide Australia