Re: Heat Shields

To: "Ronak, TP \(Timothy\)" <Timothy.Ronak@crna.akzonobel.com>
Subject: Re: Heat Shields
From: Steve Sage <fastsage@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 15:36:10 -0700
Ronak, TP (Timothy) wrote:

>Listers,
>
>I am on my second fuel pump
>
>If someone else has nicely solved this performance fuel pump roasting
>problem please let me know ...............

Tim:
I went through three or four fuel pumps myself a few years ago. Leaking
seals or outright failure. Stuck on the road when the last one quit, I
bought a Purolator Pro #12 S fuel pump as a "temporary" way to get home,
I think at Pep Boys. If you try it, make sure you get this model as they
make a smaller capacity pump for less mighty cars than ours. It's a
generic pump, in a cube shape, 2 1/4" tall and  1 1/2" wide. The reason
I can reference this pump so easily is I got two of those at the time,
about seven years ago, and the extra Purolator  pump, which I've never
had to use, is still new in the box. I had to add a few inches of fuel
line to make it work, but that was it.

The only thing I did extra to protect it (in the stock location over the
muffler) is wrap thermotec heat shield around the pump itself and the
fuel lines coming from the tanks to the pump and beyond. The pump has
worked perfectly ever since. The only hiccup is occassional vapor lock
in stop and go traffic in very hot weather. I've since (this winter)
Thermotec wrapped all the fuel line all the way from the tanks to the
carb. We'll see if the vapor lock still happens this summer but, as I
said, the fuel pump still works like new.

Steve Sage