it's not vapor-lock...

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: it's not vapor-lock...
From: "R Smith" <max348@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 19:29:35 -0400
Well I figured out what the noise was - It DEFINITELY did not have to do
with vapor-lock...

After replacing my starter, it fired right up but the knocking/popping sound
was still there. ( cold engine ) So I figured I would try to hone in on
where it was coming from. Initially I thought it was coming from the carb
but it actually ended up coming from the d-side valve cover...

Once I was certain of the location, I began the laborious task of putting
the front of the car up on stands, removing the motor-mount bolts in the
inner fenders, & lowering the motor so I could get to the valve cover nuts.
Then I got to remove my plug-wires, coil bracket, & the top-side oil filter.
( I'm sure EVERYONE know exactly what I'm talking about, LOL )

Anyway - The exhaust rocker arm on the #5 cylinder was completely loose! (
lovely ) I have know idea how this could have happened considering I
triple-checked EVERYTHING before reinstalling the valve covers. The only
thing I can figure is that I should have used some thread locker on the
adjusting nuts?

At least now I know - Hopefully I didn't do any damage to the motor????